PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Key Wear

Asrataylor
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a 2006 legacy outback with about 40k miles. One morning I tried to start the car and the key would not turn. Steering wheel was not locked. I got my second key and it turned easily. When I compared my two keys the key I use daily was excessively worn. I have my car key, key fob and one house key on the key ring. When I went to my dealer they told me that the wear was due to excessive weight on the key ring (hello?). Has anyone else exprienced excessive key wear. It's costing me over $100 to have new keys made and I'm afraid the same thing will happen again.

Administrator
01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
This could be your key ignition doing the wearing on the keys. No way should your keys be getting worn due to your key ring or even them sitting in you pocket. If the car is under warranty ask for them to check the key ignition......

dbwhiteman1
01-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Just a thought. Do you have a big heavy key ring with lots of keys? They can create wear by moving around when driving. OOps you said that. Try keeping ony a few keys or a detachable key. The key metal is soft (usually brass) to prevent wear on the key cylinder.

jamesanderson1
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
They are good and better option for you. You can go with them.

06legacyltd
04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
i have the same thing going on with mine and i only have the fob on my key ring....

colonel bogey
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
i have had my subaru impreza (s-reg) with the oringinal iginition key. every service i spray a little WD40 on the key. bit of lube works wonders. ;)