PDA

View Full Version : where there's smoke there is .....?

gracie3
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi! New Suby forum poster here. A couple of days ago, after returning home from a short trip to the store, my Subaru Outback (2000) was smoking from under the Right front tire well and it smelled like a belt was burning or something of that nature. When looking under the hood, no sign of a loose or broken belt or anything else that looked out of order. it does squawk when I turn the steering wheel sharply. Power steering, brakes? Any ideas out there?

Fourwayz
01-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I have the SAME problem on a 1999 Legacy Brighton. I posted the question 2 times and got NO response. I suggest you take it to the dealer OR a good Subaru mechanig for diagnostics. You won't get an answer here!

Administrator
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
First, since it smells like a belt is burning, check your power steering. Have someone in the car turning the wheels and then you check to see if the belt is slipping, you will see it if it is.

Then, check the brake components. Check to see if your pads are sticking or your caliper is locked up on that side.

This also could be a wheel bearing, do you hear any metal on metal noises?

gracie3
01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
We ended up taking it to a mechanic and sure enough,it was the brakes. they were all shot and so were the rotors. thanks for your input!