PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Outback,code P0444

12-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Hello all, Newbie with a sick Subie.
My daughters 2000 Outback is throwing a P0444 code. She also complains that the car smells like gas while the car is warming up. There were a couple of leaking fuel lines that were repaired,but this did not totally fix the problem.

Would the code being displayed have anything to do with the fuel smell. Also,can anyone point me to the location of the failing part causing the code.

It's really bothering me that she has this fuel smell. Is there a danger that the car may catch fire?

Thank you for any help in this matter.

ericams
12-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Is your daughters car an automatic with the sohc 2.5?
the only codes I pulled up with alldata are P0443 AND P0446 they seem to skip 444 and 445. Anyway both of those codes deal with the EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM PURGE CONTROL VALVE (boy what a mouthful) and the VENT CONTROL. They say that some of the symptoms are erroneous idling, is yours doing that? the location of the purge control valve is on the intake manifold however untill I have more info I cannot tell you exactly where it is at on the manifold
it is possible this would give off a gas smell

anyway please get me some more info year 2000 make subaru model outback what? engine 2.2,2.5? transmission AT or MT? look up the code one more time to see if it is not a P0443 or P0446

i will keep researching in the mean time hope this helps keep me posted

thanks

dbwhiteman1
12-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Check the top of your fuel filler pipe and the valve. They rust and leak. I just replaced my daughter's on her 99 Outback wagon. It fixed the code (after resetting) and stopped leaking. It cost about $160 for me to do it, figure about $200 in labor if you have it done.