PDA

View Full Version : Huge trouble 1996 legacy

ijryan
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
i recenctly got an oil change and after my car started acting wierd. When i say weird i mean bad. When ever i hit the gas the least bit the engine bogs out. To start moving i need to hold the clutch, pump the gas pedal until the rpm's up then itll take off. but even then there is no power to it. the acceleration is terrible. I thought it was the spark plugs not giving enough of a charge s i replaced them. When i pull the last plug wire out the wire was dry rotted and broke off attached to the plug. I went and replaced the wires and when i took it for a drive it made no difference. I then thought, maybe the fuel filter was clogged. I went out bought the part and then replace that too. Still nothing. Again a thought came across my head, maybe the fuel pump... NOT replaced that and yes it is much better with all the improvements but still awful. I have no idea whats wrong but if you could help me it would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone
Ijryan

dieselrab
12-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Is there any check engine light? I have a '93 legacy and it did the same thing except when I revved it about 1000rpm's it died along with it had no reverse and wouldn't reach 1 mph. I tried taking the whole exhaust off thinking maybe the catalytic converter was plugged and that wasn't it so i put a timing light on the car and tapped on the top of the engine to make it think it was predetonating to see if it would retard the timing and it didn't so I replaced the knock sensor(not cheap) with one I took one from a junk yard and presto problem gone. So check the catalytic converter, EGR valve(if equipped), and the knock sensor. Those are my ideas hope they help.

ericams
12-03-2009, 11:46 PM
was the car running fine before the oil change? were you getting good gas mileage?
like dieselrab said do you have any check engine light. need more info.

thanks

ijryan
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM
figured it out yes it was working fine before the oil change but the crank shaft broke. idk how but it had a lot of movement when it was running so i brought it in they tried taking it off and it snapped off so i need either a new engine or a new crank shaft but they dont make crank shafts for 95's anymore so idk what im ganna do