PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Probroblem 1999 Outback LTD

dbwhiteman1
11-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I have been getting evap codes recently on my 1999 Outback Wagon. It happens mostly on long trips, but is getting more frequest. I am replacing the fuel filler tube, gasket and ring (already did the gas cap). There is rust on the inside and outside of the filler tube. Should I also replace the pressure valve while I have it apart? Any other thoughts too? Thanks

dbwhiteman1
11-16-2009, 08:19 AM
A quick update, The top of the fuel filler pipe and the pressure valve were rusted into 1 big crumbling piece. So I guess the pressure valve needs to be replaced too. I looked and didn't find any other rust on the car. I'm going to coat the new assembly with Zep Iron Clad or about 4 coats of rustolium before reassembly. At least it only cost me about $240.00 in parts. I almost got a smoke test done first but the rust was obviously the problem.

Halpert Parts
11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
A quick update, The top of the fuel filler pipe and the pressure valve were rusted into 1 big crumbling piece. So I guess the pressure valve needs to be replaced too. I looked and didn't find any other rust on the car. I'm going to coat the new assembly with Zep Iron Clad or about 4 coats of rustolium before reassembly. At least it only cost me about $240.00 in parts. I almost got a smoke test done first but the rust was obviously the problem.

Yes we always replace the valve on the filler neck, when doing the neck

flausebn
11-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I accept with information:The top of the fuel filler pipe and the pressure valve were rusted into 1 big crumbling piece.

dbwhiteman1
11-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Did the job today. I even remembered to mark the vacuum hoses so the went back on in the right place. The old rusted filler pipe broke as I removed it. If you are planning to do this job, make sure you get new screws/bolts for the filler pipe. I replaced the 3 top phillip screws with 5mm bolts. I had to drill out the screws as they were rusted in place. Luckily they were mild steel, I also replced the hoses and clamps. It would be a lot harder if I didn't have access to a lift. Lots of Zep Iron Clad should keep the pipe from rusting for a while.