PDA

View Full Version : Subaru smells hot

Paul Thomas
11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello! I have a Subaru Legacy 1999. It smells really hot and is using alot of oil but the temp gauge does not go up. Performance is not affected,I just keep topping up the oil.It has pretty high mileage-240,000. Apart from this problem it is a great car.The smell is almost acrid.Any suggestions?
:)

dbwhiteman1
11-04-2009, 06:54 AM
The "hot smell" is probable oil vapor from leaks and blow by. When leaking oil hits exhaust parts it gets nasty. At your mileage make sure you have good brand and a heavier weight 10-40 high mileage oil.

Paul Thomas
11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for taking time to answer,you've been most helpful.

jcspeedy
04-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I also have a 1999 legacy, which also has an oil leak. It leaks out of the rocker gasket onto the hot exhaust which burns it up, and yes, it comes through the air conditioning and smells bad.

benjar
04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
The bulk of you oil leaks can be solved most likely with easily accessible valve covers, rear left cam shaft plug and rear right aluminum plate with O ring. Possibly oil pan as well. The other seals are behind the timing belt (note, shaft seal and O ring on the starter motor side front camshaft) Then theres a piston access plug, rear shaft seal and oil separator plate behing your flywheel/TC. Might just cram a rag underneath where the power steering rack is to catch the oil and keep most of it off your hot exhaust. Rig up a custom cab filter?