PDA

View Full Version : 98 GT Sunroof Issues...

MCSLegacy
06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to Subaru and to the 98 Legacy GT I just bought. I'm having some issues with the sunroof. For some reason it doesn't want to open sometimes. It gets like stuck almost. I try bringing it up and then down and then try to move it back and it won't budge. I found out today that when I hit the button to make it go back, it gets stuck on the roof because something isn't bringing the sunroof down far enough so it gets caught on the back edge of the roof. If I push the sunroof down it pops down and then allows it to go back. Anyone having the same problem? Anyone fixed this problem? Thanks for the help!

lowlysubaruguy
06-10-2008, 12:45 AM
multi qustion answer first have you cleaned and lubed the weatherstrip and roof with either silicone grease ( not sealer) or similar Mercedes sells a great lune for this

Second does the weather strip at the front or rear appear to be smashed or pinched when closed ( glass is to far forward or rearward) theres an adjustment for this lives above the headliner theres a trim plug covering it you have to gently pry the lock tabs off of the nut then loosen it and try inching the allen bolt a little each way until its right. Not tricky but a pain to get it just right.

Is the weatherstrip and glass to high whne closed there are shims between the track and the glass if the weatehrstrip is to high it can bind in the limited travel downward before moving to the rear.

Make sure the tracks are clean and lightly lubed also look to see if the wind deflector spring mount is broken catcing on anything.

MCSLegacy
06-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Cool, I will look into this. I figured it may just need to be oiled up or something. I can get it to go in when I apply a slight pressure to the rear of the window. Is this Mercedes grease something I would have to get from them?

lowlysubaruguy
06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes teh Mercedes weatherstip lube is only sold by MB however if thats to hard to accomplish try silicone spray the thick bodied stuff. Its about the viscocity as light engine oil. Not water.