PDA

View Full Version : 98 outback has loud ticking

triiifashions
05-23-2008, 07:54 AM
from the time u start the car there is a loud ticking in the engine get faster when u accelerate so sound is directly related to the speed of engine.
but does it from idle on up

Administrator
05-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Um, that would be a knock coming from your engine. I would have a compression and leak test done first. Then trouble shoot the knock. If you keep driving the car, you might end up stuck somewhere. How loud is the tick/knock?

triiifashions
05-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Um, that would be a knock coming from your engine. I would have a compression and leak test done first. Then trouble shoot the knock. If you keep driving the car, you might end up stuck somewhere. How loud is the tick/knock?

not very loud in fact i have a couple people tell me it is normal

and im sure you werent trying to be a smartasss??!?

Administrator
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I know your not. Mine also makes a faint sound that replicates a knock. It has done it from day 1 actually. I think this just might be the subaru engine sound you are hearing. If you have driven other cars all your life, that might just be it. I would still have your engine mechanic check it out to be on the safe side. You don't want to jeopardize your ride.

lowlysubaruguy
05-29-2008, 01:50 AM
This engine has short piston skirts and a result of this is piston knock I weight this out on several levals. Is it louder cold and how loud if the noise is much worse cold than after running say 2 minutes thne its more than likely pistons. If its more than likely pistons does it go away after 5 minutes of driving if so and its not using more than 1.5 quarts of oil in 3000 miles its fine

If it knocks worse hot then you might have concerns wrist pins, worn cylinder walls or rod or main bearings could be the issue. Time to think long and hard about it.

If its using oil 2 or more quarts in 3000 miles and the noise is appearant under accel even if the noise is better when warm its also time to think about your cituation.

I refer to this engine as KOHS thats Knocker overheater series. Some make it 300,000 some die young. Head gasket failures are much more common than lower end failure. Even with loud piston noises.

vanpire
05-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Actually it's most likely to be the fuel injectors ticking.

There is a simple test to track down the tick, take a long screwdriver and touch it to various parts of the block, fuel system, etc etc put you ear to the screwdriver and listen.

I've put a subaru new engine into a 2002 ra, and it has this same ticking noise, it's the injectors on this.

Drakien
08-13-2008, 02:32 AM
I have the same noise problem. My Mechanic said that it is a valve lifter tick. As to what that can do to the car, I have no idea.

08Shark
12-17-2009, 08:26 AM
My 98 Impreza Outback Sport has the same tick or knock at 193000 Kilometers and has had it since we bought it a year or so ago for my sister, now she got a new car and i got the subu for my winter beater as i park my other car in the winter.

I actually joined this forum to try and figure out what the problem might be and possible how to fix it if its not a serious matter...

I have been told it could be the valves by numerous people, i have also been told it is normal for these cars... and i believe that for a couple reasons, a guy that works across the road has a 99 or 00 forester that does the same thing, and my sister ran it about 500 kilometers every other weekend back and forth to school with no problems. It burns no oil from what i can tell and the tick does get quieter as the car warms up.

Personally I'm hoping its something simple like getting valves set or some additives to the oil and or gas systems... I was however told by a mechanic friend who has done a couple motor jobs to these engines that it is about a $2000 - $2500 (CAD$) repair bill to completely re-build the engine, which isn't a step i'm willing to take, i'll let this motor go and buy another motor before i spend that kind of money overhauling a 12 year old car lol...

How many miles/ Kilometers are on your car?

08Shark
12-17-2009, 08:27 AM
And yes i now see the post dates are back over a year, hope it re-surfaces so i get some input on mine...