PDA

View Full Version : At Oil Temp Light Problem

SNGBIRC
05-23-2008, 01:07 AM
I rented a 08 Forester with about 6500 miles on it from Avis for several days last week in the Boston area. I am considering the Forrester, Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV as our next car.
The Forester seemed like a pretty nice car, plenty of room for 4 adults, my son and I are both 6'3" and we were comfortable.
The last day we had it, we had driven about 3 miles on surface streets and about 20 on the MassPike, late at nighr, cool temperatures and not much traffic. About a mile from our hotel, the AT OIL TEMP light came on and the engine died. I barely had time to pull off the highway. The engine would not crank over, even after sitting an hour and a half. Don't know what the problem was, Avis brought us another car and the Forrester went back on a flatbed.
Any thoughts on the AT OIL TEMP light? I checked the ATF level, there was oil up to the "FULL" mark (clear brownish fluid, not the usual Chevy/Ford cherry red stuff), and there was no sign of a leak under the car-leaking all the ATF would have left a mess underneath, but it was dry.
I'm thinking that it is a computer or sensor problem, as major AT problems on a nearly new car are pretty rare.
Steve in California

Administrator
05-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Go with the forester, you will not regret it. Although, toyota makes some very nice cars/trucks, IMO you will be better off with a forester.

rutech
07-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I agree, toyota's build a good car but the forester is a really good reliable car. You can easily get 200k plus out of a subaru if you take care of it. The at light is kinda strange. It will not usually kill the car. Maybe it had a rare computer malfunction or something.

brandonmillsap
12-22-2011, 12:47 AM
If I were you, go with the honda crv if you are considering price, performance, comfort and style. The crv is a very balanced car that will give your money's worth. You also won't have any trouble looking for honda crv parts (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/models/honda~crv~makemodel.html).