PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise when not accelerating...HELP!

claytonwang
04-29-2008, 05:54 AM
I just recently bought a 2002 Subaru Outback and I love every bit of it. However, I have noticed a strong ticking noise occuring when I am coasting down the road. The noise does not occur at all while the car is sitting at idle or while accelerating. The ticking noise, which is faster paced at higher speeds, occurs as soon as I let of the gas while going down the road. This occurs at all speeds from around 15mph to 75mph(and I am sure it occurs at higher speeds. I just never travel at higher speeds). The car sounds beautiful when idling or accelerating, but coasting down the road without touching the gas pedal at all causes the ticking noise to occur. Does anybody have any idea what could be the source of this noise? The car is a 4-cylinder with 148K miles on it. PLEASE HELP!

lowlysubaruguy
04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
First time responding so I might be doing it all wrong.

Is your car and auto or stick
now do you hear it with the windows up down or both
does it mek this noise with the trans in nuetral

If its a manual does slightly increasing its speeds change it

One thing I want you to do or have done is to pull the trans dipstick if its a manual make sure its not bent oil chane places like to bend them into all shapes getting them out and back in this can cause the dipstick to hit the back of the ring gear and make clicking type noses that are not heard under certain throttle.

if its a manual can you isolate it from engine speed

And you cannot duplicate this sitting still hot or cold right??

claytonwang
04-29-2008, 11:26 PM
My car is a manual. Sorry I did not include that basic information in my post. I can hear it when the windows are up and when they are down but it is easier to hear when the windows are down. It still makes the ticking noise when the car is in neutral, however it is not as loud or fast paced as it is when it is coasting in gear. The ticking does increase its pace when the car is going faster. It is effected by engine speed. I cannot duplicate the noise when the car is sitting idling, whether it is hot or cold. It is dark out now and I don't have a garage to pull my car into so I will go out to it tomorrow and check if the trans dipstick is bent.

JackedUp24
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Sounds to be a rod, may need a valve job. Gunk makes some called valve medic, its a yellow bottle and cost like 6 bucks, pour that in your crankcase, if the sounds goes away it means some carbon or junk was build up and your valves werent closing all the way causing the lifter to make noise. If it doesn't make the sound go away, some parts need to be replaced.