PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Remote Starter Issue

giacomodolce
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought a used 97 Legacy Gt wagon that came with a Micro brand remote start installed. The remote start seems to have the unfortunate side effects of dropping the voltage of the Cigaratte lighter circuit to below 1v and disabling Power Mirrors completely.
My local mechanic insists that remote starters screw up subarus, and that removing it completely is the best option, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I go that route.
Is the remote starter the issue, and if so, is it possible to repair the current install?

Scorpion8
09-20-2009, 11:10 PM
My local mechanic insists that remote starters screw up subarus, and that removing it completely is the best option, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I go that route.

Mechanics say "those things" when they don't know the answer and don't want to spend the time to t-shoot it. The issue most likely is a ground somewhere that's draining off voltage from the circuit. Your choice however is to trace out each wire added during installation, and find the one that is causing the issue; or to remove it completely. Can you go back to the remote start manufacturer and get a wiring and installation diagram and then walk-thru the initial install just as the original installer would have and check each wire?