PDA

View Full Version : 93 Impreza 1.8L lacks power - help!

comtnbiker
09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I bought a used 93 Impreza with the 1.8L engine for my son recently. I thought it was a little underpowered when I test-drove it, but my son is a lead-foot, so I let it slide. As time has passed, I have come to believe that the engine isn't producing anywhere near the 115 hp that it should. Also, the gas mileage is poor. I have already changed the spark plugs.
Any suggestions?
I read somewhere else that it might be an issue with the timing pulley, perhaps it got over-torqued following a timing belt change. This would throw off the valve timing. But it didn't say anything about how to fix it.
I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks.

ericams
12-01-2009, 03:09 AM
if the timing is off one tooth the engine would feel under power. but this usually throws an engine code if you off. I would start with the basics and make sure you have the correct compression 156-185psi with 128 being minimum the right gapped spark plugs .039-.043" and have the fuel filter changed and the fuel injectors cleaned if your timing belt is off I can send you detailed instructions on how to change it. Good luck and if you have any other questions please call or email.

thanks