PDA

View Full Version : 05 GT wagon: front end tapping noise?

Alex H
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a 2005 GT wagon with 70k miles that just started making a dull tapping noise in the front end. Have replaced both the control arems and sway bar end lengths.
noise is a dull tapping (not clanging) that occurs when pressure is released--either letting up on the gas or releasing the brakes. very strange.

any ideas as to the source? could this be an engine mount?

thanks in advance
Alex

dieselrab
09-09-2009, 11:39 PM
You replaced the control arms and end links becauce of this tapping or it started happening after you replaced them?

Alex H
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
sorry for the delay in responding...
We replaced the control arms during diagnosis phase; they were spent.

dull tapping noise still persists.

Scorpion8
09-20-2009, 11:12 PM
sorry for the delay in responding...
We replaced the control arms during diagnosis phase; they were spent. dull tapping noise still persists.

So the noise is only present while moving, not at idle while standing still? Is it speed-dependent (taps more while you speed up or less as you brake)? Have you been able to isolate it to left front side or right front side?

Alex H
09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Noise only occurs while car is moving, when there is a change in momentum, such as releasing accelerator or brakes, or turning side to side. It's a subtle knocking sound, not a loud banging/clanging.
Sound seems to be coming from right font center, not periphery; that's one reason I thought it might be an engine mount.

Scorpion8
09-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Noise only occurs while car is moving, when there is a change in momentum, such as releasing accelerator or brakes, or turning side to side. It's a subtle knocking sound, not a loud banging/clanging.
Sound seems to be coming from right font center, not periphery; that's one reason I thought it might be an engine mount.

Okay, is it repetitive/cyclic/periodic (like a tap-tap-tap...), or is it a one-time-per-bump style of noise (hit a speed bump, get a tap....)?

Alex H
09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi: it's a one-time noise that doesn't replicate uniformly. It now seems to occur primarily during braking.

I try to replicate noise by braking (soft/hard/etc) then releasing, but no real pattern emerging.

Scorpion8
09-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi: it's a one-time noise that doesn't replicate uniformly. It now seems to occur primarily during braking.

I try to replicate noise by braking (soft/hard/etc) then releasing, but no real pattern emerging.

Well, check the sway bar bushing mounts (not the end links that you already replaced). Sometimes the bushing mounts can break loose or if the bushing has deteriorated then it'd rattle inside the mount on bumps and such. I assume you checked lug nuts for tightness? Check the strut mounting bolts for tightness. Possible you might also have a bad strut mount atop the front strut. Also check the strut spring to make sure you haven't broken a spring that's slapping around.

dieselrab
10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
anyone tired of people ruining good posts whit this crap?^^^^

hopfucli
11-02-2009, 04:32 AM
I accept with information:check the sway bar bushing mounts (not the end links that you already replaced). Sometimes the bushing mounts can break loose or if the bushing has deteriorated then it'd rattle inside the mount on bumps and such.

Alex H
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi everyone,
The tapping turns out to have been caused by a missing engine mount bolt on the left side.
thanks for your help.
after two Outbacks, I can say that the 05 GT wagon (with the manual trans) is an awesome and vastly superior car; total bummer that it was discontinued...where's the spec b wagon???

I may be forced to buy an Audi yet