PDA

View Full Version : EFI or not question

DabRain
09-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I mess up.

I live in New Zealand and travel about 60miles to a from work each day, so the fuel bill gets over $120 per week and I have been trying to reduce my fuel usage by any means possible and I have come to the conclusion that the EFI unit just wont let you do anything to alter the economy.

I am thinking of ditching the EFI and fitting a Carburetor, has anyone ever done this?

BTW I am running a 93 Legacy wagon with a twin cam EJ20 (ie not turbo or 2 cams/head).

Any thoughts or advise would be very helpful:)

Brian

Scorpion8
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I am thinking of ditching the EFI and fitting a Carburetor, has anyone ever done this?

You'd be going backwards. The EFI is programmed to give metered application of fuel to the engine in each individual cylinder, whereas a carb pours fuel out almost willy-nilly. That's why all cars use EFI to meet fuel economy regs whereas just the brute power trucks still use carbs.

A good tune-up would help more than anything else.

DabRain
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, OK!!! Thank you for your comment Scorpion, but how do I do a tune up after fitting new plugs and running injector clean through the system??

Scorpion8
09-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, OK!!! Thank you for your comment Scorpion, but how do I do a tune up after fitting new plugs and running injector clean through the system??

How many miles on your Suby? Have you replaced the timing chain? Try also running a few bottles of fuel-injector cleaner thru the gas tank one at a time to keep the injectors working at peak.

dieselrab
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
As well as you can use a multi-meter and ohm the resistance on your coil pack and wires because if you don't have a hot enough spark then you have un-used fuel going right out the tail pipe 69