PDA

View Full Version : replaced dead battery, car won't start

locooso
08-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I had to replace my battery recently in my Beaner(H6 3.0). Now the car has full electrical power, but won't start. It turns over fine(no clicking), but just can't get that last little bit to start> Ignition?

Have replaced fusible link--it was suggested because the battery ran-down w/the keys in the ignition in the "on" position--put windows up 4 rain, forgot the keys. oops.
Anyway, have checked all applicable fuses, and there all good. Starter sounds fine. Solenoid? Alternator?

Any wisdom would be most helpful.

Thanks,

db

Scorpion8
08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I had to replace my battery recently in my Beaner(H6 3.0). Now the car has full electrical power, but won't start. It turns over fine(no clicking), but just can't get that last little bit to start> Ignition?

Have replaced fusible link--it was suggested because the battery ran-down w/the keys in the ignition in the "on" position--put windows up 4 rain, forgot the keys. oops. Anyway, have checked all applicable fuses, and there all good. Starter sounds fine. Solenoid? Alternator?

Any wisdom would be most helpful. Thanks, db

Honestly if you did nothing else to it since it last ran, then most likely it's just a bad ground connection either at the battery (loosen it and give it a few twists back and forth to scrape grime and corrosion and then re-tighten) or the lead to the starter might be loose.

locooso
08-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll check the lead to the starter.

Are you referring to the battery terminals, or is the ground something different?

Someone else suggested starter too, but it seems like I'm getting a full crank, when I turn the key, just not firing to start engine. If it were just clicking, I'd be more convinced.

Thx

Scorpion8
08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll check the lead to the starter. Are you referring to the battery terminals, or is the ground something different?

Someone else suggested starter too, but it seems like I'm getting a full crank, when I turn the key, just not firing to start engine. If it were just clicking, I'd be more convinced. Thx

Both. The battery ground (neg-) connection or the lead to the engine block and chassis ground. A bad connection at either may cause the engine not to start. Another thing you may try is to jump the starter at the starter terminals (not at the battery). If it starts then you have a starter relay issue. If it is cranking on normal turn-key then you have a good connection. Fuel? Have you checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

locooso
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
wouldn't start when jumped from starter. did get it to start when I shot some starter spray into carburator. One started, wouldn't draw fuel or, more precisely, fuel pump, most likely, not pumping. Trying to figure out where the fuel rail is.

Going to dbl-chk fuel pump fuse(s)

Scorpion8
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Trying to figure out where the fuel rail is.

Going to dbl-chk fuel pump fuse(s)

The fuel rail is the pipe/tube that feeds fuel to the injectors. There is usually a Schrader valve (like a bicycle inner tube) where you can check if there is fuel pressure to the injectors. If this just started after replacing the battery, then check any wire or connectors that you might have disconnected for access. Is there a "whirring sound" from the fuel pump when you key the ignition before you turn the key to start?

locooso
08-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Ah, the fuel rail. Always wondered what that Schrader valve was for.
I'll check pressure--how much should there be?

Starter noise, just after turning key, is an mmmmmmmm for 2 or 3 seconds.
definitely no fuel getting pumped. Did have to take the INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR out when I took main intake off to get to carburator.

When checking the connection at the fuel pump (back next to the gas tank), what should I set my volt meter to? What type of amperage am I looking for?

Hey, thanks again for sticking with me here. It's much appreciated. I only have about an hour per day to check-out the car. These post help me focus in.

Scorpion8
08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, assuming you HAVE gas in the fuel tank (always check off the easy things first) there should be about 35 psi at the fuel rail output from the fuel pump. I would find it odd that changing your battery caused the fuel pump to go bad. Have you checked all the spark plug leads and ignition wiring from the coil pack?

That sound you hear when you turn the key on sounds like the fuel pump is running to pressurize the system.

dieselrab
09-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Well if you said that it will run for just a second when you spray atarting fluid in it, it's definately a fuel problem. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Even if the fuel pump is running even a couple psi low might not be enough to keep the vehicle running. So if you say it starts with starting fluid the I would check the fuel filter first.