PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Subaru. Stuck between 2.5RS w/56k miles and WRX w/ 116k HELP ME MAKE THE right choice!?

UCANTCME9215
10-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I found a beautiful 2002 Impreza Wrx (2.0L) that's in immaculate condition. Very clean and has aftermarket exhaust and downpipe for the turbo. It has 116K miles on it, but the interior is so clean! It's black and has the carbon fiber look interior trim pieces- which is exactly what I want. It is my dream car, and in one of my preffered colors (Silver). I've always wanted a boosted Subaru, and this one has around 225 HP.But...There is also an Electric Blue (another of my favorite colors) 2003 Impreza 2.5 RS for the same price though. It only has 56K miles on it, but the interior is not everything I dreamed of, like the WRX's is. It has a few doordings, which I know is normal but still I'm leaning towards the WRX hard. the RS doesn't have the optional foglights, so I feel like I'd have to add those later, and I really don't want to start modifying cars again, as there's other things I should be spending $ on. I want to be happy with my purchase as is, but for the same amt. of $...should I just get the RS? It will last me longer, as it has much lower miles, but will I be happy with it or wish I had bought a boosted car?Insurance cost makes no difference for me, and I'm smart enough to stay out of trouble with speeding so the extra HP is not a downfall.insurance will be $180 a month for full coverage on any type of Impreza with the insurance carriers I checked with.The suspension has been dropped a little on the WRX. Not sure when, but the carfax says it was sold at an auction as a fleet vehicle. Since it's got modded downpipe, suspension, and exhaust I can't imagine it was a rental. Perhaps someone's company car. It looks like it was maintained really well, and I was surprised the WRX was even in my price range. Both cars are $10,500 asking price and both have had 2 registered owners.

Sammy
10-26-2007, 10:48 PM
have u checked the cost of the insurance on both? I bet you will find insurance is a lot less on the rs

tery_x
10-27-2007, 09:36 AM
if it where me, Id go hands down for the wrx. thats just cuz im a turbo freak :> hopefully by the sound of it, they took care of it and didnt beat on it, but its always hard to say. It is alot of miles especially on a turbo car, you should find out if they have replaced the clutch, suspension parts ect.. cuz that sorta stuff is gonna be going out soon if not.add:what a tough choice :< thats alot of miles for the wrx, and i doubt it was a rental, it could of been a number of things, maybe a guy that worked at the car dealerships demo car, or a company car, in which case... If I had a wrx for a company car, that wasnt MY car, i would be beating it up pretty good :) If I was trying to make a choice in the matter I would go drive them both, and try getting the most history of the maintence that has been done on them, i would take the car over to my mechanic and have him give it a look over and see what looks newer and if anythings going bad. and that rs is still gonna have some kick to it with with 2.5 Ive driven my buddys before and its not -slow- but its not a wrx either :P

wrx580
10-27-2007, 08:25 PM
if the wrx doesnt smoke at all or grind gears id go with the wrx. if its an 02 or 03 pay very close attention to the tranny, its probably been replaced with those miles but they dont hold up well

Sammy
10-28-2007, 07:13 AM
I vote WRX as well as long as you get a pro to look at it...the $100 or so the guy will charge to do a full check will be worth it in the long run.WRX vs. RS there's just no comparison given the condition of each car as you've written it. The RS would take a lot of work to make as or nearly as fast as a WRX.The only concern is that WRX's mileage...make sure it checks out and be prepared to possibly have to do medium to major maintenance in the future. Most WRX's that have made it to 100K are well taken care of...most WRX's that I've heard of that were beaten on don't make it to 100K without having at some point a new motor, turbo, gears or entire trans.If the car was well taken care of you should be able to run the thing into the ground to 200K with good maintenance.

Somethingtotry
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
You'll have to burn premium fuel in the WRX because of the turbo. Regular in the 2.5

Somethingtotry
10-29-2007, 04:50 AM
The WRX ofcourse, by 100%specially if it looks like this one http://www.apc.net/mechworks/pics/mywrx.jpg

Type-R
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
never buy a used turbo car especially WRX, most of the time abused by owner. when you have a turbo car, i'm sure you don't drive like grandma. Just don't buy a used WRX impreza. Get yourself a brand new STI.

Somethingtotry
10-30-2007, 02:26 AM
I would do the WRX only if the timing belt has been changed and all other scheduled maintenance has been done properly. Also if there is an aftermarket down pipe without any tuning the check engine light will come on after you drive it a week or so. They only have to disconnect the battery to turn off the light temporarily so you won't see it right away. It will not pass emissions in it's state though so beware. If you do get it buy a thing called an Access Port. With just a down pipe it will not only take care of the check engine light but also add about 40-50 HP at the wheels.

ethirtydavid
09-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Who is the owner of the wrx? old guy? 19 year old? Does the wrx come with service records?

take it to a shop!