PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Wrx :-/

WRXmonkey
07-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Problem 1: I own a 2002 WRX, and I am having an issue with my turbo. It just started happening but when i am driving and I get to my destination, my engine begins to smoke around my turbo.

I think I have a seal that went bad or something, any idea what would have caused that? Also is that an relatively easy fix?

Problem 2: Another problem I am having is that when I turn my car on it squeaks for like 5 minutes and then goes away. It is only when my car has been sitting for a good 5 or 6 hours. I was thinking it was my timing belt but I am unsure. Any ideas?

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

rutech
07-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Well as for problem 1, my guess is the turbo return oil hose under the turbo, those are famous for leaking. If it is sitting still at an idle the oil will just drip on the ground but when you are moving the oil will be blown onto the down pipe which is where the smoke comes from. As for problem number 2, it sounds to me like it is a pully making the noise, squeaking until it warms up then going away. Those turbo models have one small idler pully for the timing belt that always wears out quicker than the rest. That could very well be the problem. How many miles on the car??? If it is that pully you need to get it fixed asap. If it seizes up it will take out the timing belt and that is an interferance engine, meaning the valves will get bent if the timing belt brakes. Then of coarse the repair will get expensive in a big hurry.

WRXmonkey
07-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Its got 83000 on it, do you know how hard the idler pulley is to replace and what about the return line?