PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Stuck

slowfamily
07-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Hello,

I have a '93 Subaru Impreza hatchback. (Sorry if this isn't the place to post this, but where's the Impreza category?) For a while, the automatic gearshift has gotten stuck in park. Oddly enough, I found that by hitting the dash right above the glove box, it would become unstuck. This technique has worked for a while, but it seems to be becoming less effective. Any idea what may cause this problem?

Thanks!

rutech
07-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Humm, that is a very interesting techinque lol. The most likey cause of the shifter getting stuck in park is the brake light switch. The next time it happens make sure the brake lights come on, if not than that is your problem. If it turns out that your brake lights are on when this happens than we will have to look into it farther. So check that and let me know what you find and we will go from there. Good luck.

Zeniq
07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Rutech is right, this has happened several times in my '99 Legacy. Usually, when the vehicle will not go into gear, it means your blinker/brake lights are not working. Test them, and if they are not working, check the fuse. With mine, it usually means that the fuse is blown for the blinkers.

rutech
07-17-2009, 11:08 PM
That is interesting zeniq, your blinker fuse affects the park lock out. That is a new one on me. Good to know, thanks.

Scorpion8
07-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Oddly enough, I found that by hitting the dash right above the glove box, it would become unstuck.

The Fonzie Technique, eh? Perhaps the park-lock solenoid is sticking or failing.