PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice on the Intercooler? Would this really work?

stevenj2025
07-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I put dry ice on my intercooler, does this actually give you any additional horsepower? I wouldnt think that it would make much of a difference since the hot air would probly melt anything it touches anyway. Besides, aren't you supposed to use gloves when handling that stuff?
The bad thing is, on his first run he snapped his tranny. I was wondering if this had something do do with the dry ice intercooler, but who knows....

http://www.fullsolo.org/videos/play/192770

rutech
07-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I have herd of that. In theory it would work great, the colder the air is the more dense it is. The more dense the air is the more air and fuel you can get into the cylinders and therefore creating more power. I have never seen it done but like I said I have herd of people doing that and in theory it will work. Oh yeah, you will definately want to where gloves when handleing dry ice.

stevenj2025
07-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I have herd of that. In theory it would work great, the colder the air is the more dense it is. The more dense the air is the more air and fuel you can get into the cylinders and therefore creating more power. I have never seen it done but like I said I have herd of people doing that and in theory it will work. Oh yeah, you will definately want to where gloves when handleing dry ice.

That's what I thought, but this guy kept handling it without gloves. He didn't complain tho. As far as working goes, I'm sure it does. But how much of a horsepower increase do u think?

rutech
07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
That is pretty crazy, you can get frost bite pretty easy handling that stuff without gloves, he must have had some tough hands. I honestly don't know what kind of power increase you would get. The only way to tell would be on a dyno of course. I don't even know where to look for that info. Sorry I can't answere your question better. I will do some research and see if I can find anything, if I do I will let you know.

stevenj2025
07-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah that's true, without a dyno there is no real way to tell

bagssz123
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Keira Knightley Take a look at how the fashion icon who is so-Keira Knightley in a recent red carpet ceremony, the constant use Chloe Elsie Hand twirl her handbags (http://www.bagswholesalemall.com)Chloe Elsie metal chain, the fundamental look of self-confidence to face the camera like a Hollywood star after party, And just like a nervous school girl students, and in March in London on an after party, she will be a little thin

MattRCNJ
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
yeah touching dry ice without gloves is asking for frostbite in seconds.. In our labs we use gloves. Your theory about air temperature would work, and remember that dry ice doesn't melt to a liquid. It goes straight to a gas. Though I am not sure how the gas would react with the different metals and components.

Ego4sho
10-02-2010, 02:59 PM
That looks sooo cool

mc_001
02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Interesting.

RPM
04-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Dry ice will work, but it you really want to make a difference put the dry ice in the water cooler reservoir for the intercooler spray. Also another trick is half water and half rubbing alcohol. You will see 5 hp gain. Dosnt sound like much, but what you are really doing is making the car run cooler and keeping more consistent hp over all. Less loss because of heat soak.

Monstersubie
04-08-2011, 05:41 AM
I promise he didn't handle dry ice with his bare hands, He wouldn't have fingers left. Rubbing alcohol does help because alcohol is colder by nature.