PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust conundrum.. no idea whats going on.

losdiosdeverde86
07-06-2009, 10:53 PM
99 LGT Limited - 50k Miles - Sedan - Auto

So, my exhaust broke. What do i mean by 'broke'? well, the middle of the mid-pipe (specifically the resonator) complete broke off.

My problem is that I don't know what I need to replace. I could definitely use some assistance. Please check out the exhaust diagram (i made) below.

Figure A: What my car originally had
Figure B: The greyed out dashed line is what broke off
Figure C: The FSM diagram

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/losdiosdeverde86/exhaust.jpg

Notice Figure A has 3 cats, and Figure C has 2 cats.

Can someone shed some light on this?

(yes i'm sure mine has 3 cats, yes i'm sure i'm looking at the correct manual)

Scorpion8
07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
99 LGT Limited - 50k Miles - Sedan - Auto

So, my exhaust broke. What do i mean by 'broke'? well, the middle of the mid-pipe (specifically the resonator) complete broke off.

My problem is that I don't know what I need to replace. I could definitely use some assistance. Please check out the exhaust diagram (i made) below.

Figure A: What my car originally had
Figure B: The greyed out dashed line is what broke off
Figure C: The FSM diagram

Notice Figure A has 3 cats, and Figure C has 2 cats.

Can someone shed some light on this?

(yes i'm sure mine has 3 cats, yes i'm sure i'm looking at the correct manual)

Three (3) CATs? Service diagram only shows two. Sure one of those wasn't the resonator?

Scorpion8
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Three (3) CATs? Service diagram only shows two. Sure one of those wasn't the resonator?

Is the system all original, or has it been replaced in the past?

losdiosdeverde86
07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Is the system all original, or has it been replaced in the past?

original as far as i know

Scorpion8
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
original as far as i know

Can you update your image with the locations of the O2 sensors?

rutech
07-11-2009, 11:53 AM
basically you have two options that I can see. If your exhaust is in good enough shape you can take it to a muffler shop and they can weld your pipe back together. If not you will have to buy the entire section of pipe, what I mean is unbolt the nearest connection before and after the part that is broken. You will probably be able to look into the pipe and tell if the part of the pipe you are replacing has a cat in it or not. That would be my suggestion.

losdiosdeverde86
07-12-2009, 10:24 AM
i'm going to try to temporarily fix it today with a piece of flex pipe until i can take it back to my old garage in pittsburgh and have it replaced properly. i'm just going to get a straight pipe for the permanent fix.

rutech
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a good way to do it. Don't know what the emissions are in your area but if you have to take the car through emissions make sure you don't take a cat off the car when you replace the exhaust, it might not pass if you do that. If you don't have to worry about emissions than I agree, straight pipe it. Good luck.