PDA

View Full Version : 1995 legacy brakes locked

eriond7154
06-27-2009, 08:08 PM
My girlfriend has a 1995 legacy outback wagon and the driver's front and passenger rear calipers are locked engaged. The calipers are good and of course release their pressure if i crack their bleeders. I replaced the master cylinder and nothing changed. The ABS pump under the hood has been seeping brake fluid and keeping the ABS light on so I had one of those laying around. Replaced it with high hopes but again nothing changed. Anyone have any ideas? Proportioning valve below the master maybe? I'm tired of just throwing parts at this thing. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rutech
06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Does the car have a manual transmission or is it an automatic. If it is a manual than is sounds like the hill holder is sticking or not adusted correctly. Let me know which it is and lets go from there.

eriond7154
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
the car is a manual transmission. thanks for any help you can give

Scorpion8
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
the car is a manual transmission. thanks for any help you can give

The "hill holder" is comprised of a pressure-hold-valve that may be malfunctioning. Here's the removal process to test it:

The pressure hold valve is the main component of the Hill Holder system. The valve is mounted in the engine compartment on the side frame rail closest to the master cylinder.

Drain the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
Remove the Hill Holder cable adjusting nut, clamp and cable mount from the clutch cable assembly in the engine compartment.
Detach the PHV cable from the mounting clips. Separate the connector bracket from the PHV support.
Disconnect the brake lines from the PHV. Use a flare wrench to prevent damage to the line nut.
Remove the PHV.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Secure all components to the following.
Bracket-to-PHV 59 ft. lbs. (713 Nm)
Brake lines-to-PHV 913 ft. lbs. (1318 Nm)
Connector bracket-to-PHV body 59 ft. lbs. (713 Nm)
Add brake fluid and bleed the brake system.
Adjust the hill holder cable.

And adjustment:

ADJUSTMENT

Test the Hill Holder on a steep hill with NO traffic.
If the engine stalls when the clutch pedal/Hill Holder is released, loosen the adjusting nut gradually until smooth starting and no stalling is enabled.
If the vehicle slips backwards when the clutch pedal/Hill Holder is released, tighten the adjusting nut so that the Hill Holder is released after the clutch engages.

rutech
06-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Good job scorpion, I could not have said it better myself lol. I do believe your problem is with your hill holder so follow scorpions instructions and the problem should be taken care of. Good luck.

eriond7154
06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
thanks to both of you. I will test it sometime this week and get back to you with the results. If it needs replacement where is the best place to get another one? junkyard? dealer? Thanks

rutech
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
You could check out a wreaking yard, kind of a gamble though. You never know what your going to get but it would be the cheapest rout for sure. I would check your local parts store and see if they can find one. If not I am pretty sure you can get one from the dealer. Good luck.