PDA

View Full Version : Subaru turbo whine?

SandeepS
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
on an 06 subaru wrx, after spooling the turbo is making a whining noise.. that sounds somewhat like a fan... not really a flutter.. which i thought would be the wastegate.. now i am not sure.. any suggestions?

seelarke
03-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Sounds like theres a problem with the turbo bearings

zw4nzig
03-02-2008, 09:02 AM
My turbo makes a whistling sound as did my old one too. My 02 had an intake on it and was pretty loud. I think it's normal. If anything it's still under warranty so take it to the dealer and see what they say.

shiu
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
have them check the turbo compressor wheel. my 94 legacy GT does it, sounds like a siren haha.

MLJ
03-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I have an 02 WRX and have long had a smooth, gentle whistle up to about 3500rpm - before it gets drowned out by rising revs. Lots of turbo cars have it.

zarathustra41
03-03-2008, 06:38 AM
The car's used right? First turbo charged car too, right? If the answers are yes, then no worries. This is normal(not to mention a bit annoying) for a turbo charger. IF however the noise is constant, then you either have a bad bearing set(or all of them), or a blown gasket(another bad and big problem as this with damage the exhaust valves prematurely). At high RPM's, there will be a whine until the engine's RPM's sound exceeds that of the charger. When you shift and let off the gas, the noise goes away, right? Well, if the noise isn't going away, then you need to get the car to the shop quickly and have the problem fixed soon. Unless you WANT to buy a new and/or rebuilt engine for the car.