PDA

View Full Version : Are there any dogs breeds that are similar to a St. Bernard in temperment?

Minion26
02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Our family really loves St. Bernards and my young son responds very well to them. We just aren't sure we can handle a dog of that size. I don't mind the shedding or the slobber but I don't think I can fit one in my Subaru. :) We've been looking at other dog breeds and they are either not good with kids or too high strung for my son to feel comfortable around (Golden Retriever, for example). Are we just going to have to wait until my son becomes a bit more comfortable around more high strung dogs or is there another breed out there that I'm missing?He's actually really uncomfortable with the older dogs rather than the puppies. He's a sensitive kid with some development issues. Seeing him with the St. Bernards was incredible and I'd almost get a new car to see that look on his face. :) I've worked a great deal with rescue groups in the past (have both rescued and fostered) and while I think they are awesome, it's important for me to be able to see both parents before bringing a dog into my home to be around young children. That's just something that's important to me.

Laura
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
the cavaleir king charles spaniel is a fun loving sweet and gentle dog, but wouldnt really love playing with kids, just snuggling! the staffordshire bull terrier is also really good with kids, and is a medium sized dog!even though some people will classify this breed as a pit bull, they are super sweet and loving!!but who knows? your perfect dog maybe at the local shelter!! i know mine was, good luck! =]

Goldengal
02-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't think breed is your problem. All pups and young dogs are going to be very active. I have a feeling you have seen adult dogs that have already been trained and have now gotten over their puppy and adolescent stage of development. Have you considered adopting a older dog from a rescue???Any large breed or Giant breed dogs have breed specific rescues and may be your best choice if you do not want to deal with puppy exuberance! Please look into a breed specific rescue and perhaps there is where you will find your dog of choice and give a dog it's forever home.ADD: Poodles are not clam dogs at all. I grew up with poodles and they are very hign energy/high strung and jumpy and very hyper dogs! They are also very nippy and need a ton of grooming. I would not recomend a Poodle at all.I would then suggest to look for a great St. Bernard or Newfoundland breeder in your area and go from there. Both of the gently giants shoeuld all have all their health testing done such as . OFA for hips. and elblows. Heart checked and eys and thyroid! Make sure the breeder tests for temperment with all the dogs you look at. Please do not disreguard Golden's or Lab's. They are wonderful dogs and you also need to look for the right breeder for each of these breeds. Health testing is the same for these breeds as for the Staints and The Newfies. In my opinion High strung/hyper Golden's are not well bred Golden's. That is not supposed to be the way they are ment to be.I wish you the best of luck in your search!

kudlykara
02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I poodle is a good breed, they are smart a calm dogs, so are german shepherds and labradors that are good with children. You could get one of these breeds then take them to obediance training so they are well behaved. A bull dog is a very laid back dog, they loves to cuddle and relax with their owners and they are good with kids. http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/laidbackdogbre_tszy.htm